Creating colorful amigurumi projects can be both exciting and a bit tricky, especially when changing colors.
In this guide, you will learn how to change yarn color in crochet amigurumi. We will go through each step so you can smoothly switch colors in your projects and make them look fantastic.
Table of contents
Put your hook in the stitch before the color change
First things first, find the stitch where you want the new color. Stick your crochet hook into the stitch just before that one. This helps set things up for a neat color switch.
Pull up a loop and pull through with the current color
Now, do a simple move. Pull up a loop and pull the yarn through, still using the color you were using before. Now, before completing the stitch you will have two loops on your hook, both in the original color.
Drop the old color and pick up the new color
While still working on the stitch before the color change, drop the extra yarn of the old color. Pick up the new color, making sure the yarn is positioned nicely. Loop the new color around the hook, then pull it through the two loops on the hook, leaving you with one loop on the hook in the new color.
The last step is easy, since you have made the color change in the last stitch, continue crocheting using the new color.
Tips for a Great Finish
- Tidying Up- After the color change, give a gentle tug on all the yarn ends for a clean look.
- Hide the ends - Work over the tails of both the old and new colors for a few stitches to secure them along the inside of your work (or tie the ends together), then tuck the remaining yarn inside the piece.
- Watch the Tension - If you are changing colors a lot, be careful not to pull the yarn too tight. This helps avoid your stitches looking weird.
You did it! Changing colors in your amigurumi projects is now a breeze.
Get ready to make your amigurumi projects pop with beautiful color changes.
Amigurumi Tips for Beginners
New to amigurumi? Check out our blog post for beginner-friendly tips! Learn essential techniques and troubleshoot common challenges to make your crochet projects a success.
Learn To Crochet
If you are new to crochet and would like to learn more. You might like these:
- Basic crochet stitches for beginners
- How to crochet for beginners
- Crochet terms and abbreviations
- How to read a crochet pattern for beginners
- How to read a yarn label
- How to hold yarn when crocheting
Pin this post - Pin now to and take your skills to the next level.
Leave a comment - We're excited to hear your thoughts! Leave a comment below and let us know what you think.
Share on Instagram or Facebook - Capture the beauty of your finished crochet projects and share it on Instagram or Facebook! Tag us @easybreezycrochet or #ebcrochetcreations so we can see your work!