If you are looking for some quick and easy things to crochet, these crochet keychain patterns are perfect for you. They are easy to make and can be customized in endless ways.
In this guide, we talk about yarn selection, answer common questions, and show you how to attach keychains to your crochet items.
Table of contents
- Easy To Make Keychains
- Benefits of Crocheting Keychains
- What You Will Need
- What Yarn Is Best For Crochet Keychains?
- Where To Use Crochet Keychains
- Crochet Stitches and Techniques
- Frequently Asked Questions
- More Free Crochet Patterns
- Crochet Keychain Pattern Ideas
- More Crochet Keychain Patterns For Beginners
- Stay Connected
Easy To Make Keychains
Crochet keychains are quick and easy, and you can turn almost any small crochet item into a cute keychain. Keychains in any shape and form are great for making as gifts and for selling at craft fairs.
Listed below are some patterns that are specifically designed as keychains and others that can easily adapted into a keychain.
Among the patterns listed below you will find ideas for:
- Crochet keychain animals and creatures - such as teddy bears, bunnies, owls, fish, and more.
- Ideas for amigurumi keychains - like watermelon slices, crocheted crayons, candy corn, cheeseburgers, cupcakes, and cactus.
- Fun items - including a sombrero, taco, and Chapstick holder.
Benefits of Crocheting Keychains
People make crochet keychains because they are a creative and enjoyable way to:
- Add a personal and unique touch to their keys or bags.
- Make thoughtful handmade presents for friends and family.
- Crocheting can be a relaxing and meditative hobby.
- And it is a great way to use up scraps of yarn.
What You Will Need
Just like every crochet project, you will need the basics:
- Yarn - use the yarn weight specified in your chosen pattern.
- Crochet hook - the pattern will specify the hook size that should be used. However, depending on your tension you may have to go up or down a size to get the correct tension if a gauge has been specified in the pattern.
- Additional items - such as stitch markers, yarn needle, scissors, stuffing, etc. may be required to complete the pattern.
What Yarn Is Best For Crochet Keychains?
We recommend using cotton yarn because it is strong, can be cleaned easily, and is available in many colors.
But really, any type of yarn will do the job. Remember, if you choose a thicker yarn than the suggested pattern, your keychain will turn out bigger. And, if you choose a thinner yarn, your keychain will be smaller.
Some popular yarns that can be used to make these keychains are worsted weight yarn like Red Heart Super, Paintbox yarns, and Lily Sugar 'n' Cream yarn. However, you are not limited to these brands.
When using a different yarn than stated in the pattern, use the hook size recommended on the yarn label for making the pattern.
Where To Use Crochet Keychains
Crochet keychains can be used for other things besides attaching to keys. Here are some ideas:
- Bag accessories by clipping them onto the strap of your purse, backpack, or tote bag for a fun fashion statement.
- Zipper pulls on bags or jackets with zippers. This not only pretties up your items but also makes it easier to grip and pull the zipper.
- They make perfect little gifts or decorations on gifts for events like birthdays, weddings, or baby showers.
- Use them as an accessory for electronics like phones and tablets.
- Attach crochet keychains to your car's rearview mirror for a unique and colorful decoration.
- Crochet keychains can also be used as small decorative items around your home. Hang them on hooks, knobs, or display them on a bulletin board for a cozy and handmade touch.
- If you are making crochet keychains for kids, they can attach them to their school bags, or pencil cases, or hang them in their rooms as decorations.
- You can even use crochet keychains as pet accessories. Attach them to your pet's collar for a cute and personalized touch.
Crochet Stitches and Techniques
Depending on the pattern you are making, you may need to know these basic crochet stitches and techniques:
- How to make a magic ring (MR)
- How to make a crochet slip knot
- How to crochet a slip stitch (sl st)
- How to crochet a chain stitch (ch)
- How to make a single crochet (sc)
- How to half double crochet (hdc)
- Double crochet (dc)
- Treble crochet (tr)
- Increase stitches
- Decrease stitches
- How to change color in crochet
- How to join yarn in crochet
- How to weave in crochet ends
Frequently Asked Questions
The time to crochet a keychain varies. A simple one might take 15-30 minutes for experienced people.
But if it's more complex or you are new to crocheting, it could take longer.
You can turn small crochet items to make a keychain by adding a keyring attachment.
The average size of a crocheted item for a keychain (not including the keyring attachment) should be about 2 to 3 inches (5 to 7.5cm). However, this can vary depending on your tastes.
Here are some ways to attach a keychain to a crocheted item, you could:
Use a yarn and needle. Thread yarn through the point where you want the keychain attached to the crocheted piece, then loop it back through the keychain attachment, insert the needle back into the crochet piece, and fasten it off securely.
Sew on a small chain with a clasp onto the crochet piece, and use the clasp to attach it to a keyring or bag.
Crochet Keychain Pattern Ideas
Below are links to some great free crochet keychain patterns. These small crochet patterns are a great way to make the most of scrap yarn.
They are fast to make, making them great for last-minute gifts at holidays like Christmas or, Valentine's Day, and because they take little effort to make they are items to sell at craft fairs.
More Crochet Keychain Patterns For Beginners
There are so many different types of crochet patterns that can be turned into keychains, you can make:
- Amigurumi crochet keychains are small crocheted stuffed animals, characters, or objects that can be attached to keyrings, these give keys and bags a cute and cute and whimsical look like this amigurumi cat keychain.
- Tassel keychains have a tassel made from yarn or ribbons and sometimes will have beads or other decorative elements, like this easy crochet keychain with tassel.
- Crochet flowers can be turned into keychains by attaching a loop or chain to the flower like the crochet rose keychain.
- Crochet emojis make fun and interesting keychains, they can be crocheted flat like these crochet heart emojis or filled with stuffing like these amigurumi emojis.
- Crocheted initial keychains can be a unique way to identify your belongings or give them as personalized gifts. Take a look at this video on crochet alphabet keychains for an example
- Beaded crochet keychains can be made by stringing beads onto the yarn before or after crocheting. For example, look at this fidget keychain with beads.
- Crocheted food or drink items, such as cupcakes, ice cream cones, pizza slices, or coffee cups, can be used to make crochet keychains.
- Crochet keychains designed for specific holidays, like Christmas gnomes, Halloween pumpkins, or Valentine's Day, can be used to celebrate and decorate during those times.
- Geometric patterns in shapes like crocheted triangles, hexagons, or diamonds, look great as keychains.
- Lanyard keychains are long and can be worn around your neck or wrist. They are practical for carrying keys, ID cards, or small ones.
Pin this post - Pin now to and take your skills to the next level.
Leave a comment - We're excited to hear your thoughts! Leave a comment below and let us know what you think.
Share on Instagram or Facebook - Capture the beauty of your finished crochet projects and share it on Instagram or Facebook! Tag us @easybreezycrochet or #ebcrochetcreations so we can see your work!